everyday mind wanderings and confessions of maria ondonesa limlunay manununda maladaw

Tuesday, February 04, 2014

Cantera


As I walked two blocks away 
from the train station of Sagrado Corazon de Jesus
the  streets became a surreal scene 
twenty minutes walk to Cantera 
I have seen too much in just two blocks
I was greeted with the adversity of life
the contradictions of personal values
the unquestionable poverty
the lingering addictions
the self-inflected suffering
the unnecessary mortality
the fear and tensions in every street corner
the endangered smiles
the toxic canals
the sad isolation in substance abuse
the greed and confusion of consumerism 
and bright island colors of humanity
I took it all in and embraced it
It was the painting of life 
with every detail, line, texture and color on the walls 
made it a complete picture
This is the best walk ever to the heart of the island
a special experience
that no ordinary tourist would enjoy
But I was safe with Jose 
showing me the reality of San Juan
the heart of the community
the seed of the problem
I was so happy to see  courage and hope
when I looked at Jose’s eyes
Cantera gave me a sense of hope for Puerto Rico
amidst the adversities and contradictions
I came with a purpose
I left with hope
Thank you Mabel 
for believing in your dreams 
for you have made me 
believed more in mine

No comments: