everyday mind wanderings and confessions of maria ondonesa limlunay manununda maladaw

Thursday, June 06, 2013

Bitter sweet history


As a child I observed
endless scenes of hard labor,
low wages,
landless tillers and sugar cane-slashers
harsh as the exploitation of workers
poisoned land
killed in acidity and fire
I did not question
I did not know what to ask
I even wanted to forget
In memory of the childhood wakeful nights
with the trembling ground as train passes
I snore in the wind chill of forgotten crimes
when i burry my endless dreams in my pillow
so I no longer keep a helpless anticipation
of seeing myself
drenched in my fear
alone in my guilt
buried in shame.
for being poor
for not asking.
Bullets and guns are everyday meals
in times of military offensive
cannon balls roared and shook the mountains
I was too young to understand
the leftist spite of bureaucracy
The dictator dependent economy exploded like a bubble
and left the people with nothing but foreign debts
The land were used by the landlords
To produce crops for the giant corporations
The land is no longer for food but for money
Left the people hungry
I learned the word poor
I heard the word hunger
for landless people lost their jobs
including my father
The sugar cane fields have turned bitter
with tears of children
with no food to eat
I heard many people have gone missing
and saw thousands of people in television
took the streets in protest 
I felt my stomach turning
I heard the promise of a much better food production with green revolution
Imported seeds, pesticides, herbicides, fertilizers became a business
And for so many years, the farmers were buried under insurmountable debts
that they took to their graveyards 
But the story of poverty is a lesson forgotten
Many more followed with a bigger dream
Expanding endless fields of export crops
Converting forests and farms
With lines of sugarcanes, pineapples and bananas
Farmers forced to sell their lands became farm workers
There is something wrong
This time more sophisticated with economic invasion
The once prolific country is now at the mercy
Of imported patented rice
We are now slaves to Monsanto and Cargill hybrid rice and hybrid corn
This greed opened my eyes

My childhood has planted enough fears in my frail young body
that sprouted an incurable shyness until I learned to break out from a hula beat
Later my lungs gasp for more air
as I swirl to the various records imported from America

I learned the word imported
Then some French fries grew in the appetite of a city dweller 
willing to digest imported labels
Global economy gave birth to excessive consumerism
The Philippines made it even sophisticated with imitation
Imported products
which marked the death of local products
graveyards for the death of culture and tradition
stories of my people never told
I have many more stories to tell
So I dance them
I chant them
I participate in the storytelling
Is this art? I don’t know…
I want to find my voice…
I want to be heard
But I fear in my heart in some occasions
That my voice will be used against me
I made films, poems, songs
Intimidated audiences in performance art
Questioned the streets with theater and colors
Shouted no to nukes… no to US bases… no to aerial spray… no to GMO

Am I relevant?
Am I heard?
Am I true to myself?
What is change?
What is to live?
What is the answer?

No comments: